I haven’t been specifically tagged for this, but a couple of of you have done it and then ducked the tagging question by saying that anyone else who feels like it should do it. Well, I feel like it.
1) Total number of books I own: Must be in the area of 3,000. There’s a few hundred in various places in Ireland, and a hundred or so at work whose ownership may be disputed in the event of my ever leaving (though probably disputed in the sense of “You can hold onto it!” – “No, please, you keep it!”). In this room there’s about 30 two-metre shelves’ worth of books, and probably half as many in the rest of the house. Some day I shall be disciplined like
2) Last books I bought: At lunchtime on Thursday I managed to track down a new English-language bookshop just off Place Stephanie, ventured within and got i) Pippi Longstocking for F, who had been doing Pippi Langkous in school last week, and ii) Kafka’s The Trial, which I’d started reading this time last year but lost my previous copy in a sleep-deprived moment in the car park of Moscow’s Sheremetyevo Airport. Also last weekend I bought The Hallowed Hunt by Lois McMaster Bujold, but Anne is getting first crack at it. I’m trying to buy With Stars In My Eyes by Peter Weston, but PayPal won’t let me make the transaction.
4) Five books that mean a lot to me:
- Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien
- What Color is Your Parachute?, by Richard Nelson Bolles – changed my attitude to work completely.
- The New Hugo Winners Volume IV, ed. Gregory Benford & Martin H. Greenberg – basically rekindled my interest in SF
- The Fall of Yugoslavia, by Misha Glenny