These are the current levels of support for the likely Lib Dem candidates on Facebook.
Vince Cable deserves to be Prime Minister: 16.
Donald Kennedy for leader: 8.
NB the following important points:
- Some of these groups may not be entirely serious.
- Many people will be in more than one group (possibly even supporting more than one candidate).
- As far as I can see, there are no declared groups supporting any of the other candidates whose names have been mentioned.
- Charles Kennedy says it is “highly unlikely” that he will stand.
- Vince Cable has ruled himself out.
- Donald Kennedy, Charles Kennedy’s two-year-old son, is not eligible.
It is interesting that a) the front-runner is already so clearly established, despite the fact that we are in very early days yet, and b) that Steve Webb is so close behind Chris Huhne for second place.
Myself, I haven’t made my mind up yet. I voted for Huhne last time, but the two other likely serious candidates (Clegg and Webb, not Hemming) both seem to me to share his strengths, weaknesses and policy preferences. I’m willing to be educated, of course.